News from Mrs. LS's Room...
On this page, you will find important dates, events, and what is being covered in the classroom. Directly below is our calendar of events, but keep scrolling to find out what we are learning about!!!
School and Class Calendar
Click on any event below to get more details.
September/October - This Month We Are Working On...
Establishing the classroom environment:
- Building of routines, leadership, responsibility, & expectations
- Community development through social responsibility, building emotional intelligence, and peer support systems
- Rules & regulations created through weekly Class Meetings (student-driven)
Literature circles, language arts, and literacy instruction:
- Initial literacy assessments to determine reading, journalling, and oral discussion groups
- Daily 5 literacy instruction - establishing tasks & environment
- Beginning to blog! Watch for a link to your child's blog coming soon!
- Global Read Aloud - connecting with other classrooms about our read-aloud, A Long Walk to Water
- Initial numeracy assessments
- Establishment of Guided Math stations and routines: Math Journals for note-taking, practice, problem solving and communication, Math Vocab, Math Games, IXL for extra practice
- Place value introduction and addition review
- Exploring Aboriginal stories through oral histories and traditions
- Design challenges from Ready, Set, Design initiative
- Introduction to Space unit
Physical and Health Education:
- Body management games and strategies
- spatial and player awareness
- adapting strategies to rule requirements
- manipulating rules to maximize game efficiency
- TBA in Term 2 or 3
- Pixel art (self-portrait)
- Bookmark design for Indigo Books Fundraiser
Social Emotional Development:
- MindUP practice - self-regulation to be calm, alert, and focused
- Using our brains – what it means to be mindful of ourselves and others in the classroom and other social settings
- Creating rules and regulations in the classroom that are fair and just through student governance in Class Meeting